Tuesday, June 5, 2007

twenty-two*

the number: 22
its been following me all. my. life.

every time i look at the clock
for example
its 22 after the hour
which happens to be my birthdate
but consistantly
day after day,
week after week
year after year
every date
every receipt
every ticket,
coat check or otherwise.
even the cabin number
on our cruise,
and the number of our villa
in florida

my dear on-line girlfriend:
barefootgirl22 and 'the' birthday
oh, and lets not forget the date
I was admitted to the hospital
September 22

today, all day
every time i looked at the clock
it was 22 after the hour
and just now
the page in a book i am reading
about Goddesses
her name is Eponai
I liked her right away
she is a Celtic healing goddess
who is celebrated with her own festival in Rome
wouldn't you know
loves all things kids and animals
miss ellie, miss ellie!
you're home, you're home!

well, it made me jump
when i saw the number on the page
a 22!
with anE?? for ellen?!?

and Ezilaa
a Haitian goddess of love,
some voodoo for yoo-oo
she cries for the *shortness of life*
me too, I cry everyday.
still.
and dancing, she loves to dance
in my head,
i hear that black chick
telling me in that club in NYC:
"you sure dance good for a white girl!"

22zz22zz22zz22zz22zz22
zackzoezackzoezackzoe
please tell me how i knew?
it tick tocks
back and forth
in its comfortable state
its no wonder
i got me some rhythm

its freaky
or maybe its not
this rhythm of ME
i feel like i am being sucked into the vortex
the culmination of ME, is it?
i've made the right choices
just chugging along

i am blessed, yes indeed
just when i needed it the most.
is it all preordained, the dates been set?
When will the tick tocking stop?
A 22 you know it will be
but will it be
the minute
the date
the year?
2022

mmm, that sounds good. I'll take it.




*originally published 11/17/06

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.